Consumer VOICE Urges the Government for an Immediate Introduction of a Strong Road Safety Law.
Consumer VOICE, working for Road Safety Initiative to benefit all the citizens of India has submitted a petition to Shri Nitin Gadkari, Hon’ble Minister, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and Hon’ble Minister of State, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways for an immediate introduction of Road Safety Bill /Amended Central Motor Vehicle Act in monsoon session of Parliament with stringent punishments for the violators to curb on road accidents / deaths. Consumer VOICE also submitted pointed recommendations on various aspects to be included in the proposed bill.
“Approximately 18,000 human deaths could have been averted had the road safety bill been passed in the previous session of parliament and these deaths will continue if the bill is not introduced in the upcoming monsoon session of parliament” said Mr Ashim Sanyal, Chief Operating Officer, Consumer VOICE. “Keeping the bill in limbo or in abeyance is not in the interest of Indians” adds Mr. Sanyal
According to data released in INDIA ROAD ACCIDENTS 2015 REPORT published by and Transport Research Wing of Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH), Government of India and Launched by the Union Road Transport Minister Mr. Nitin Gadkari at New Delhi on 9th June 2016:
- Road crashes increased by 2.5%
- Persons killed in road crash increased by 4.6% 0 Road injuries increased by 1.4%
- Highest road fatalities recorded in Rajasthan (19K), Uttar Pradesh (17 K), Tamil Nadu (15 K), Maharastra (13 K), and Karnataka (10 K)
- Mumbai recorded highest number of road accidents.
- Aprox. 1,374 crashes and 400 deaths take place every day on Indian roads which translates into 57 accidents and loss of 17 lives on an average every hour.
54.1% of all persons killed in road crashes were in the 15 -34 years age group
77.1% road crashes attributed to drivers fault.
- Speeding reported to cause 47.9% crashes and 44.2% road deaths.
- Driving under influence reported 3.3% accidents 4.6%deaths.
About Voluntary Organisation in Interest of Consumer Education (Consumer VOICE)
Consumer VOICE is one of the Leading Consumer Organisation in the India. Working under “Jago Grahak Jago” program of Ministry of Consumer Affairs besides other Ministries, Regulatory bodies, standards organizations, world bodies and Standing Committees of Parliaments, our work of Comparative Testing for product testing and services evaluations are for the masses. We are doing advocacy for all the consumers to various authorities and consumers across India are getting benefited from our work. Our magazines and website, besides educational workshops on various subjects are the tools of consumer education and empowerment across the nation and all consumers get benefited from our work.
0-45 ( Basement ) Lajpat Nagar Part –II, ring road
New Delhi -110024