Consumer VOICE organized Cyclothon (Cycle Rally) event on January 7, 2017 on the occasion of Road Safety Week in January(11 Jan-17 Jan 2017) at Nehru Park, Neeti Marg Parking Area ,Chanakyapuri, New Delhi in association with Delhi Traffic Police.
The main objective of the event is to create awareness on road safety aspects among masses and also to make citizens aware about their duties towards road safety in India and for strong road safety law which will help in averting countless avoidable deaths due to road accidents.
Facts about Child Safety :
- One way to achieve this goal is to prevent them from being killed on the roads.
- In addition, one of the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) targets (3.6) is to halve the global number of deaths and injuries from road traffic crashes by 2020.
- As one of the signatories to the SDGs, India has the responsibility to enact appropriate legislation to achieve this goal, especially when it comes to the safety of India's children on the roads.
- According to the National Crime Records Bureau (2013), 20 children under the age of 14 die every day due to road crashes in India.
- Almost 60 children age 3 to 15 are killed or seriously injured on Indian roads.
- In 2014 alone, 16,901 children were killed in road crashes in India.
- This is nearly 675% more than the reported deaths of children from all crimes against them put together.
- Children accounted for 6.1% of the total accidental deaths due to motor vehicle crashes in 2013 in India.