- About 80 percent of curd is water. So, you won’t feel dehydrated if you have it daily.
- Curd is high in protein as about it has about 12 percent protein content.
- High methionine content in curd is good news as it’s an irreplaceable amino acid that can protect your liver against fat
- Curd only has about 3 percent carbohydrates and has low levels of lactose. This means people with lactose allergy who cannot digest milk can digest it easily.
- Natural curd has about 25 percent fat content. These are mono-unsaturated fatty acids which don’t oxidize and are healthy for you.
- There are fat-free versions of curd available in which the fat is less than 0.2 percent. You can also choose medium fat curd versions (with about 5 percent fat) and fatty curds (with about 9 percent curd).
- Curd is quite rich in phosphorous and calcium, but their content is higher in the milk.
- Curd is also loaded with riboflavin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and pantothenic acid.
- Curd is also loaded with organic acids like lactic acid that helps in the absorption of nutrients and microminerals. It also assists in stimulating the functioning of digestive glands.
How to Choose the Right Curd?
While choosing curd that is loaded with nutrients, skip curd creams as they are loaded with unhealthy sugars or artificial sweeteners that aren’t good for you.
Some types of curdhave additional ingredients. They are not necessarily bad. Some are added to diversify the product in terms of appearance and flavor while some are added to boost the nutritional value of the curd. Examples of these additional ingredients are fruits, berries, bananas, apricots, cocoa, raisins, etc. So, make sure you do your research.
If you want the curd to provide maximum nutritional value, make sure that you have it fresh and finish it before the expiry date.
In case you can make curd at home, do it. It’s always better to have homemade products rather than factory manufactured ones as with the former, you know of the exact ingredients.
It is quite clear that curd is loaded with nutrients and can play a key role in keeping you healthy. It’s a superfood present at all homes that should be consumed daily for best results!