During hot summers it is the refrigerator that gives you cold water to quench your thirst, while in winters it helps you store food without having the hassle of going to the market everyday braving the cold winter mornings.
But to make your refrigerator, an energy efficient fridge, you should be aware of the refrigerator usage tips. The best refrigerator is one that helps you keep going for a longer duration.
Tips for Using the Refrigerator
The following refrigerator usage tips will help your fridge run for long and efficiently.
- Avoid opening the fridge frequently – you will save power.
- Clean off the condenser coils at least once a year.
- Protect your fridge from high heat sources.
- Reduce your frost accumulation if it’s a direct-cool refrigerator.
- Let your food cool before putting it in.
- Cover everything (food) stored.
- Check the door seal for air leakage.
- Clean the drain hole and drip pan.
- Adjust level for easier closing of door.
- Wipe all surface areas with a combination of dishwashing soap and warm water. Use a microfibre cloth or a good-quality sponge.
- For stubborn stains, mix a small amount of baking soda with a little water to produce a thick paste. Apply the paste to the stain and leave for an hour before wiping with a damp sponge or cloth. Disinfectants should never be used inside refrigerators.
How to Make your Refrigerator Energy Efficient Fridge
Whether you recently purchased an energy efficient fridge or you have an old one, here are some practical steps to increase the energy efficiency of your refrigerator. These are also essential refrigerator usage tips. Refrigerators are one of the biggest contributors to a typical residential electricity bill in India and though buying a 5 star rating fridge is one the first things that one should do but there are other ways in which energy efficiency can be increased:
- Make sure that the food kept inside the refrigerator is cooled and brought down to room temperature before keeping it inside
- Avoid stuffing the refrigerator to the full as a fully stored refrigerator will hinder the flow of cold air thereby decreasing its efficiency
- Adjust your settings until you have 3 degrees C (fridge) and -18 degrees C (freezer)
- Always cover any liquids kept in the refrigerator as moisture lost from the liquids can impact condenser performance.
- Ensure that ice doesn’t accumulate in your refrigerator as it acts as unwanted insulation and decreases the efficiency of the condenser.
- Defrost the refrigerator regularly to maintain the efficiency.
By following the refrigerator usage tips you can increase the energy efficiency of your fridge and also keep your food safe and cold. If you have an older model, it is time to replace it with a new energy rating fridge to get the best out of it.
Tips on Refrigerator Storage - how to keep food safe in refrigerator might be useful for you.
Consumer VOICE compared 6 most popular brands of frost free refrigerators to help you decide on the best frost free refrigerator that suits your requirements.