Impact of Quality of Internet Services on Internet Users
Consumer VOICE is currently conducting a research study supported by Ford Foundation to gauge the Impact of Quality of Internet Services on Internet Users. The national study highlights the importance of Internet Quality and lists the impediments which require attention for further enhancement of Quality of Internet Services.
Impact of Quality Internet Service is a national study taken by Consumer VOICE to measure the:
- Current status of Quality of Internet Service in India
- Patterns of current usage of Internet
- Interpret the effect of Quality on Usage of Internet
- Impact of Internet usage on various aspects of l Challenges
- Covering all the networks in the study
- On-field team adequately covers both rural and urban share of the population.
The study included five phases:
- Phase 1: Literature Review (Sept’16 – Dec’16) - About 180 research papers and related articles cited from various sources were referred to for the purpose of understanding the subject matter and developing the framework of the project.
- Phase 2: Situational Analysis (Jan’17) - The research team conducted in-depth interviews with consumers & ISPs in different states to add to the key factors already drawn from the literature review. At the end of this phase we had 30 parameters and 225 key factors generated from literature review and situational analysis together.
- Phase 3: Questionnaire Development (Feb’17) - A questionnaire was developed with the help of key factors gathered during first two stages. This format was revised after Pre-Pilot & Pilot before it was used as the final instrument for fieldwork. Two sub-studies were also proposed - Speed test and E-Governance.
Phase 4: Pilot testing (Mar’17 to Apr’17) - 2% of the total sample size (1000) was covered during pilot which was conducted in eight states - 2 from each zone. Interviews were conducted through two modes - Face to face and CATI.
The survey which covered 50,000 respondents from various states and Union Territories of India adequately covered rural share of the population.
Findings of the Study
The report is divided into 3 parts:
- Part 1: Concept Scope and Dimensions
- Part 2: Assessment of Quality of Internet Service
- Part 3: Impact of quality of Internet Service on Different Aspects of Life
Readings of internet speeds of 5 national level ISPs collected in different states during different times of the day at different places.
TRAI defines 3G speeds as – from 1.8 to 40 mbps and 4G as- up to ‘100-150mbps’. However, in our study, average speeds found for 3G were 2.10 mbps and 4G were 3.16 mbps. Maximum was 12.70 mbps for 4G and 9.98 mbps for 3G.